Ask an Attorney a Question for FREE!

Accident w/ lapsed insurance

by Bill

On 1/5 I hit someone in the rear of his car as he went through a yield (he stopped pulled through yield sign then stopped) sign I stopped saw no cars and started forward only to find him stopped in front of me.

My van had damage and since he had a rather large truck had according to police report minor bumper damage. I found out that evening that my insurance had lapsed. Of course when I called him to offer to fix his truck (no answer left message) that Sat. when I got home I found a letter from his attorney claiming personal injury.

I find it hard to believe that this guy who was standing with me waiting for the police was injured. (The police report said no injuries). In a panic what happens next?

Answer: Hello Bill,

I am sorry to hear about your situation. This is the number one reason you need insurance, to protect you against frivolous lawsuits. You can contact the attorney and tell them that have no insurance. Couple of things could happen (among other things). The person that retained the attorney might have uninsured bodily injury coverage on their vehicle.

This would mean that they are covered and you would only have to deal with their insurance company (can make them payments). If that person is not covered by this coverage, then you are going to have to defend yourself.

It is always a good idea to talk to an attorney in your area about to establish what kind of rights and protections you have in your state.

I hope this helps,

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Got Questions?.

Please see more answers to recent personal injury and auto accident questions below:

For a Free Review of Your Case
Please Call (866) 878-2432