Ask an Attorney a Question for FREE!

Can I be sued if an accident happens?

by Carrie

My daughter is separated, has lived me for over a year, and is on my insurance policy. If her husband is sued over an auto claim, can they eventually come after me?

The husband and my daughter have no money and no property other than their older model vehicles. I'm wondering if she needs to be on a separate policy than me.


Hello Carrie,

It depends. The husband is not living with you, so he is not a resident or an insured under your policy (meaning, very unlikely that they would provide coverage for him). However, the insurance policy does provide coverage for your daughter.

The question then would be, would she be liable for the wrongs of her husband? And the answer again is depends. If you are in a state where there is community property, then probably yes. If you are in a state that does not recognize community property then probably no.

It would be a good idea to have her get her own insurance policy at least until she gets back together with her husband or gets a divorce.

Can you be suit, probably not (you did not cause the accident), but your insurance policy could potentially end up paying for his wrongs.

Good Luck,

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Got Questions?.

Please see more answers to recent personal injury and auto accident questions below:

For a Free Review of Your Case
Please Call (866) 878-2432