Ask an Attorney a Question for FREE!

Car accident and total loss | I want my car fixed

by Cristina

An old man rear ended me, there's a chances that the insurance will total my car. I know my car can be fixed, can I suit the old man and make him pay the expenses to fix my car?


Hello Christina,

Anyone can sue for anything. The question is, would your argument be successful?

Most likely not. The old man owes for the damages he caused, he totaled the car, and therefore he must pay for that.

If fixing your car costs more than the value of your car, then the old man will be able to show that a total loss is the best way to pay for what he damaged. If on the other hand, you can show that actually it's less expensive to fix your car than to replace the car (declare it a total loss), you can be successful on this.

I hope this helps,

Please see our section on total loss here:

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Got Questions?.

Please see more answers to recent personal injury and auto accident questions below:

For a Free Review of Your Case
Please Call (866) 878-2432