Ask an Attorney a Question for FREE!

Coverage transfer

by Joe

I have Esurance, and my mother has State Farm. We both have full coverage on our vehicles.

I was wondering if we had to use each other's car for a few hours if we would both be covered. Thank you.


Most likely yes.

The policy of each vehicle would cover the person driving it. Your auto policy will cover your mom when she is driving your vehicle and vice versa. This is the "normal" language of the auto policy, but your might be different.

Most auto policies define insured as just any person driving the vehicle as long as they have permission to do so. Now some insurance agents might exclude coverage for an specific driver. If the person in the specifically excluded then you will not be covered.

The best person to ask is your agent to be 100% sure.

Good Luck,

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Got Questions?.

Please see more answers to recent personal injury and auto accident questions below:

For a Free Review of Your Case
Please Call (866) 878-2432