Ask an Attorney a Question for FREE!

Insurance company does not want to pay for fair market value

by Shawn
(Pembroke Pines, FL)

I was in an accident the week before Christmas. The insurance company United Auto (UAIC) said my car is total and they will only pay the whole sale value of the car. I cannot fix or replace my van with the amount they want to give me. It has been two months.

1. What type of letter do I write to get them to pay the market value for my car and how do I word it.

2. What can be done about what it’s causing me to get around without my vehicle?


Hello Shawn,


1. You need to write a letter demanding the fair market value of the vehicle. As far was what language you use, I am not sure. You need to contact a local attorney to help with that (so you can quote local regulations).

2. Again, you may want to talk to a lawyer. Usually there is not much you can do unless you are injured. Your problem lies in your duty to mitigate damages: Please see:

I hope this helps,

Good Luck,

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Got Questions?.

Please see more answers to recent personal injury and auto accident questions below:

For a Free Review of Your Case
Please Call (866) 878-2432