Ask an Attorney a Question for FREE!

Not involved in a car accident but my vechicle was | Total Loss

by Cheryl
(hhi, sc)

My vehicle was parked alongside the curb when the neighbor hit it and total it due to careless driving.

It was a 98 Durango in relatively good condition but with minimal monetary value.

How do I go about getting the replacement value as i have little resources to get another vehicle? This happened in Florida and I reside in sc.


Hello Cheryl,

Well, You need to get your insurance contacted as soon as possible.

As you know, there is no "replacement value" paid on total losses. They pay "Actual Cash Value" which is defined as the "Fair Market Value" in your location.

This bring the issue of whether or not you will get enough to "replace your car" or simply what it is worth.

Total loss is a difficult process and unless you know what you are doing, it can bring you a lot of problems (you can get burned badly by the insurance process).

Please see our pages on total loss.

Also, please see this eBook.

Good Luck,
Auto Insurance Claim Advice
Spokane Washington

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Got Questions?.

Please see more answers to recent personal injury and auto accident questions below:

For a Free Review of Your Case
Please Call (866) 878-2432