Ask an Attorney a Question for FREE!

Pay me the check! | Total Loss Situation

by Marshall
(Whitehall, OH)

I was in a car accident that was not my fault. The other driver was given a ticket for improper lane change. Their insurance company handles its claims with a third party.

The adjuster has determined that my car was a total loss. They are trying to bypass me and pay my bank because I have a lien on the car.

I have requested them to make to check payable to me and not my bank. Who should they pay the check to me or my bank?


Hello Marshall,

If the vehicle is a total loss (which it is), the insurance must pay the bank loan first, then if there is any remainder between the settlement amount and what is owed, you would be paid that.

There is more information about this here:

Good Luck,

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Got Questions?.

Please see more answers to recent personal injury and auto accident questions below:

For a Free Review of Your Case
Please Call (866) 878-2432