Ask an Attorney a Question for FREE!

Settlement for loss of essential services

by Nina
(Toronto, Ontario)

I am pregnant and on June 13,2010 both my husband and I have been injured in a car accident due to a drunk driver who rear ended us. The drunk driver is an American visiting Toronto where the accident occurred.

It is now end of August First days of September and today I received one check from my insurance company for only house keeping. I never got attendant care, or loss of income and my husband also hasn't received anything.

Is it normal to get separate checks for each thing? and also the government is changing regulations sept 1,2010, does that mean that we will get less money starting sept 1 or do we still get the same amount since our accident occurred before?

We hired a lawyer who is never straight with us and who does not have time to answer our concerns and we are really stressed as our savings are almost depleted.


Hello Nina,

I am sorry to hear about your situation. As you know, we only handle U.S. claims. Since the accident happened in Canada, Canadian laws will apply.

We are not sure how Canada handles loss of essential services and that type of damages. Your lawyer should be able to help you. If you are not satisfied with your lawyer, then you need a second opinion.

I hope this helps

Good Luck,
Auto Insurance Claim Advice

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Got Questions?.

Please see more answers to recent personal injury and auto accident questions below:

For a Free Review of Your Case
Please Call (866) 878-2432