Ask an Attorney a Question for FREE!

Son driving vehicle | Coverave Questions

by Ben
(Washington , dc )

If my son, age 18 is in an accident, but is driving my car- who can be held liable for damages?


Hello Ben,

The person who causes the accident is liable. If your son causes the damages, then he is liable. However, "insurance" follows the car, thus your insurance company would have to provide coverage for him (if he is not excluded and no other exclusion applies).

If he causes such damage that it exceeds the limits on your policy, it's possible that the injured party seek compensation from you (the vehicle owner).

I hope this answers your question.

Good Luck
Auto Insurance Claim Advice

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Got Questions?.

Please see more answers to recent personal injury and auto accident questions below:

For a Free Review of Your Case
Please Call (866) 878-2432