Ask an Attorney a Question for FREE!

Spouses right after car accident

by B. Jones

My husband is about to settle an auto claim and we are separating, am I allowed any portion of this settlement and what should I do if I have any right?


Hello B. Jones,

It depends. You are in California so you need to know that this is a community property state. You need to talk to lawyer there regarding this situation.

Generally, a settlement for pain and suffering is considered separate property (you husband is entitled to it). However, if the settlement does have "loss wages" or compensation for anything that is a community asset, then you could be entitled to your share of that.

Please contact a local attorney before may any decisions. I hope this helps

Good Luck,
Auto Insurance Claim Advice

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Got Questions?.

Please see more answers to recent personal injury and auto accident questions below:

For a Free Review of Your Case
Please Call (866) 878-2432