Ask an Attorney a Question for FREE!

Subrogation letter received in WI

by Jill
(Hartford, WI)

I was in a small accident that the police did not file a report on. I had just bought my car the day before and did not have it insured yet. The other driver's insurance company sent me a letter stating their subrogation claim amount of $3,088.23.

The amount listed was based on an estimate. I received an email today stating the actual repairs were over $4,000 but the insurance company would accept $3,200 and close the case. I would much rather pay the $3,088.23 and not more.

I need to know if an insurance company can change the amount of the subrogation claim or can I just pay the original amount I received in a letter.

Thank you,



Hello Jill,

Well, are you sure you do not have insurance?

If you own other vehicles, that insurance policy might cover this. Also, if you are in a household were a vehicle (other vehicle) is insured, there might be coverage there. Check those policies and contact the insurance company for a coverage investigation. See, How to read an insurance policy.

If there is no insurance - assuming that there is no insurance anywhere else,

You want to have on writing that the payment represents a final settlement. The insurance company must give you a release of any and all claims against you.

You may want to talk to an attorney before you do this.

Good Luck,
Auto Insurance Claim Advice
Spokane Washington

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Got Questions?.

Please see more answers to recent personal injury and auto accident questions below:

For a Free Review of Your Case
Please Call (866) 878-2432