Ask an Attorney a Question for FREE!

Tire mechanic totalled my car test driving my car - Can I file civil suit against tire company?

by Liz
(La Plata, MD)

Took my car for a wheel balance because my car was vibrating at 50mph. While waiting for my car store manager gets call that my car has been in accident. I did not know the mechanic had taking my car for test drive.

The mechanic took my vehicle on a back road with a speed limit of 30mph. The mechanic lost control of my vehicle and ended up hitting a tree no other vehicles were in the accident.

Police report states speeding. My issue are - that this accident has caused a financial burden on me since I only owe $3000 on car.

My insurance is only going to give me $8000 which leaves me with not much to buy a car - I had a 2005 Jeep Liberty that had high mileage but was in exceptional condition and was planning to keep and drive until it know longer was reliable. Can I file civil suit against tire company?


Hello Liz,

Yes, you probably have a good cause of action against the tire company as they had your vehicle and the guy driving was most likely acting within the scope of employment.

This is a total loss situation, which they can be hard to deal with. Insurance companies are hardcore negotiators and will give substantially less if you let them. I recommend you read this ebook,, it should really help you increase their offer.

Please, also see our notes regarding total loss here:

Good Luck,

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Got Questions?.

Please see more answers to recent personal injury and auto accident questions below:

For a Free Review of Your Case
Please Call (866) 878-2432