Ask an Attorney a Question for FREE!

Total Loss per the insurance company!

by Glenda
(Resaca, GA)

The insurance company said that my vehicle was a total loss. They are saying they have reported my vehicle to the state of GA as a total loss.

I still have my tag & title. Can they do this?

Is it illegal for me to drive my vehicle. I went my self & bought the parts to fix my vehicle & it only took me $600.00.

I think this is unfair.

What can I do?


Hello Glenda,

I am sorry to hear about your accident and the issue with your car. Insurance companies can deem vehicle total losses if the value to fix is 70, 80, or even 90% the value of the car (different insurance companies have different policies on this).

If your car is a total loss, then the insurance will have to report it to the state. This is a requirement.

In some states, you can keep your total loss (the salvage), and fix it and drive it. Some states will allow you to do this but only upon inspection of your totaled car. Some will not do this. I do not know what GA does. Please contact the department of insurance of your state. They will be able to tell you if you can drive this car.

For more about total loss and how to dispute it, please see:

Good Luck,

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Got Questions?.

Please see more answers to recent personal injury and auto accident questions below:

For a Free Review of Your Case
Please Call (866) 878-2432