Ask an Attorney a Question for FREE!

What should I do? | Huge rental bills and storage fees

by Seth

I was involved in a head on accident almost two years ago that totaled my vehicle. The other driver failed to yield and was cited. I was not. My company (progressive called me immediately to make a settlement).

At the advice of my agent I opted to have her insurance handle it. I made several calls to state farm and they told me they couldn't talk to me until they spoke with the other driver. after two weeks I went out and rented a vehicle this was a business vehicle so I rented a full size suv similar to what I had. After a month not hearing from state farm I hired an attorney.

There was a question as to who owned the vehicle I bought it from my fiancee and never switched the title. About two and a half months after the wreck I returned the rental vehicle cost me about $2400.

The vehicle had been sitting at a storage lot the whole time and they called me to see if anyone was going to get it. I called state farm immediately and two days later they were there and deemed it totaled but left it there. Almost 7 months after the claim state farm made me an offer of 6400 for the vehicle which was fair but offered me about 300 towards rental reimbursement and I was responsible for storage fees which were about 2500 at this point.

My attorney asked me to sign it without reading it. I did read it and fired him on the spot. After he sent a letter to state farm saying he would no longer be representing me state farm sent me a letter with the same offer.

I am out of pocket $4900 in rental and storage fees and 6400 to replace vehicle so I am at 11300 and they want to give me 6400 not to mention 3000 in unpaid medical bills whiplash concussion. What do I do? I talked to an attorney who recommended asking for a lump sum. It's been almost 2 years and I have to recoop some of my loses


Hello Seth,

Well, this is clearly a miss handled situation by everyone involved (yes, you too - sorry). Out of everyone, you probably did not know that you had a duty to ensure the vehicle was not creating a bigger loss - please see: Duty to Mitigate Damages

Your lawyer should have told you this and your insurance company (and State Farm).

At any rate. What do you do now?

Contact a new lawyer and see what they can do. Also, contact the department of insurance and file a complaint against State Farm for the handling of the property damage / rental.

You can try to seek reimbursement for this

This is not an easy thing, and you are probably going to suffer a loss here, but you will be able to do some damage control.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck,
Auto Insurance Claim Advice

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Got Questions?.

Please see more answers to recent personal injury and auto accident questions below:

For a Free Review of Your Case
Please Call (866) 878-2432