Ask an Attorney a Question for FREE!

When is it best to file a claim

by Bob
(Haines City Florida)

My aunt has been in a serious accident-has had surgery to repair the facture and the surgery needs to be redone- since the accident was in her own car and her neighbor was driving and ticketed-single car accident-

She is currently between the 1st and 2nd surgery- Should a claim be filed before any bills are available?

Should the claim be with the drivers auto policy or with her own or both policies for the medical bills-or should she just let her HMO take on any bills through her own medical policy?

Last but not least- Should she hire an attorney to proceed with this very expensive medical care at this point and let him/her negociate with the car and medical insurance for my aunt any help would be appreciated


Hello Bob,

Your aunt needs an attorney, and fast. Florida is a no fault state, and this could bring you a lot of problems getting coverage for her medical bills alone. Since the neighbor was driving, she would have a cause of action against the neighbor (the at fault party), but Florida might shield him. This might only leave her with PIP or Medical payments to cover (sometimes less than $5,000).

Contact a lawyer on your local area to see how to proceed and ensure coverage.

To find an attorney in your city, please see:

Good Luck,

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Got Questions?.

Please see more answers to recent personal injury and auto accident questions below:

For a Free Review of Your Case
Please Call (866) 878-2432