Ask an Attorney a Question for FREE!

Car totaled in accident that resulted in dui arrest?

by J.

If a car with full insurance coverage is in an accident where the driver is arrested for dui (single car accident) does the insurance company pay out on this claim?

Or will the damage be a total loss?

I don't expect an honest answer from my insurance company, so thought I'd check here first.


Hello J,

This one is a little difficult. The insurance company will pay out if you have collision coverage and there is not an exclusion for alcohol drivers. Most states DO NOT have such exclusions, but some do. Check with your state and see if MA is one of those. Better yet, read your policy carefully. The answer is right there.

Please see:

The damage will only a total loss if there is coverage AND the damage exceeds the fair market value of your car. Please see:

Good Luck

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Got Questions?.

Please see more answers to recent personal injury and auto accident questions below:

For a Free Review of Your Case
Please Call (866) 878-2432