Ask an Attorney a Question for FREE!

Driver uninsured, how do I receive full amount of my totaled car?

by Lisa
(El Dorado Hills, CA)

The other driver who was at fault only has $10,000 in insurance.

My car alone is worth almost $20,000. Her insurance company sent me a letter to this effect, that I have to pursue my own insurance company for the balance.

How does that work?


The way it works is the limits of the other party will pay you $10,000 for the damages to your car, and then your company will have to pay the difference between the property damages and the limit.

It’s possible that the insurance policy also has an injury liability limit (not the $10K). Depending on your state and how that policy reads, your injury (if any) might still be covered under that policy.

For more information about total loss and auto damages, please see:

Good Luck,

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Got Questions?.

Please see more answers to recent personal injury and auto accident questions below:

For a Free Review of Your Case
Please Call (866) 878-2432