Ask an Attorney a Question for FREE!

If an offical City vehicle is found to be at fault in an accident, do I, as a regular person have to have my insurnace pay even though it was the city officals fault?

I was informed that City workers, state troopers, all municipality workers etc are not required to have auto insurance. and when they are involved in an accident that even though it may be their fault, the other party has to pay using their insurance company? Is this correct?


That does not sound correct. You need to check your state code.

States must be "financially responsible" and in most states, their officials cannot be uninsured (they may be self insured by the city/county).

In addition, most city workers do not enjoy civil immunity.

I hope this helps,

Good luck

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Got Questions?.

Please see more answers to recent personal injury and auto accident questions below:

For a Free Review of Your Case
Please Call (866) 878-2432