Ask an Attorney a Question for FREE!

If the name on an automobile title is different than the insured, who gets the claim check in a total loss?

by Barbara

My husband and I have insurance on a motorcycle. He was killed in an accident involving the motorcycle; the motorcycle was a total loss. The insurance was taken out in his name and mine.

The title was in his name with a title on death. The claims agent is telling me that the claim check would be made out to my husband's estate and who was named for TOD.

Who should the claim check be made out to, the insureds' names or the title names?


Hello Barbara

Usually the other policy holder will receive payment. However, if the insurance company believes there is going to be a dispute, the company can make payment to he trutee of the estate AND the other policy holder.

You want to contact an attorney about this.

Good luck

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Got Questions?.

Please see more answers to recent personal injury and auto accident questions below:

For a Free Review of Your Case
Please Call (866) 878-2432