Ask an Attorney a Question for FREE!

No transportation and lost wages?

My car was totaled in motor vehicle accident. The at-fault driver fled the scene. He was caught by police immediately, they have a report. But, the driver and the car's owner are avoiding giving statement to their ins. co.

Meanwhile, I have no transportation and am missing work. They will not set us up with a rental.

Although their driver is clearly at fault, what should I do? I already paid towing expenses and cannot pay for a rental and get reimbursed. Fortunately, there were no injuries.


I am so sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately you have a duty to mitigate damages, please see:

If have you fail to mitigate (to find a way to work), then the insurance company will probably be able to tell you that you failed on that duty and thus do not owe you for your lost wages.

This is a very unfair situation, and it happens more often than it should. Contact the insurance company and talk to tell. Tell them that you are having a very difficult time mitigating your damages and that you need their assistance. You are making reasonable steps to take care of this but cannot (do this on writing also).

I hope this helps,

Good Luck,

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Got Questions?.

Please see more answers to recent personal injury and auto accident questions below:

For a Free Review of Your Case
Please Call (866) 878-2432