Ask an Attorney a Question for FREE!

Non public road accident | How to get this done

by Virginia
(Waterford, MI)

I was at a stop light on a road, although a typical major road behind a mall and other stores, and was hit while i was stopped for a light.

I do not have collision and my van is a modified van for handicapped person. The rear end is banged up and i got an estimate of 4500 dollars...the van is worth 5,ooo without modidifications.

I was told that the person who hit me is not responsible for my damage and that I will have to pay for all repair...The cops didn't give him a ticket for it wasn't on public road. I was told that I may be able to get a mini tort of 500 or possible sue for up to 2600 but no more by the police.

They told me to call the courts. I am distraught for I can not afford to get this van redone. Is this true, what I am being told. I live in the state of Michigan, oakland county.

thank you and God Bless. Virginia


Hello Virginia ,

Michigan is a no fault state. This accident is property damage only which means there may be recourse for you. You really want to talk to a lawyer. In most states, you can use to be put back in the position you were before the accident (a modified van).

I hope this helps .

As always, it is very important that you talk with a local attorney!
Good Luck,
Auto Insurance Claim Advice

Comments for Non public road accident | How to get this done

Click here to add your own comments

Jan 04, 2011
Very Confused
by: Anonymous

I am not sure what you mean by property only. I am assuming, it means that I didn't have any personal injury. Also, why would my insurance company and the police state, that I will have to cover the damages. Is there any place online, that I can read up on my rights. I would talk to a lawyer, but my funds won't be able to afford such. Others that I know in other states say, that because this person hit me that he should have to pay. The key I think is the non-public road and no fault and of course, no collison on my part.
I just don't see it as fair that beings it was not my fault...I was just sitting there waiting for the light to change, and I get hit from the rear. His car is a company car insured and he didn't get a ticket.
Would I sue at a small claims? And, do you know anything about no fault on non public roads and what no fault means at all. I feel very confused..any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much for your response and help. Gb

Last answer to follow up:

There is no difference between public and non public roads. Negligence/liability is the same. There is an issue in Michigan regarding the accident being "property damage only." It's a legal term of art and that is why you have to talk to a lawyer.

You are assuming that a lawyer will cost you money, which may or many not be the case.

A lawyer in Michigan will be able to answer why anyone would tell you that.

Small claims could be an option, but again, only a lawyer there can tell you that for sure. We are not sure where you can read on your rights. You have a specific situation, so getting legal advice really is the best answer for you.

Good Luck

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Got Questions?.

Please see more answers to recent personal injury and auto accident questions below:

For a Free Review of Your Case
Please Call (866) 878-2432