Ask an Attorney a Question for FREE!

Recovery of deductible

by Gil

My 18 year old daughter let a 18 year old friend use her car, the friend promptly drove it into a ditch. The friend was sited for reckless driving.

My insurance paid for repairs exceeded $8K, I've requested reimbursement of the deductible ($500.00)from the parents to no avail, can I sue the 18 year old in small claims for the deductible.


Hello Gil

That is about your only venue. Your insurance company covers her as “an insured,” so they already paid for the loss. If she was entrusted with the car and crashed it, then she was negligent and must pay (or her parents). She assumed the responsibility when she drove.

For more information about small claims court, visit:

Good Luck,

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Got Questions?.

Please see more answers to recent personal injury and auto accident questions below:

For a Free Review of Your Case
Please Call (866) 878-2432