Ask an Attorney a Question for FREE!

State farm and paperwork on selling my totaled car?

by Heather
(Las Vegas, Nv )

I had an 04 chevy aveo which I still owed about three grand on and the damages were about three grand, so total was about six grand.

I was in an accident in which the other driver was declared to be at fault by the police report. My state farm insurance claim adjuster said the damages to the car were worth more than the car was worth, so it was considered a total loss. The amount paid was enough to pay off the car plus put some in my pocket.

The problem I'm having is, I needed a rental car in which I put the money up front for and was told by both insurance companies that all I needed was to submit the receipt and I would be reimbursed for it. When I called the other insurance company which is Farmers, they stated that my insurance adjuster hasn't sent any of the paperwork to them, that the only info they've received in this matter is what I have sent directly to them.

In other words my reimbursement for the rental has been put on hold. But when I spoke with my claims adjuster they said to me they don't send any paperwork until after the salvaged car gets sold, (in which could take god knows how long).

If the settlement was paid out on the car and all the other insurance company needed was the paperwork of what was paid out to close the claim.

I wanna know why state farm failed to mention to me about selling what's left of the car and why they told me the other company would take care of the rental, and why state farm hasn't given any info to the other company?

If I would have know this is how they process accident claims and it that it could take god knows how long, I wouldn't have hassled with a rental car. Can state farm withhold the paperwork from the other insurance company, or can I demand they send what info they have to the other insurance company?


Hello Heather,

Why did they not mentioned it – well I am not sure. Usually they will pay your rental up front. There is no question about that. Why they are giving you grief is beyond me. You could go after the person who hit you for your rental payments (you could even consider small claims court).

This is a damage owed to you and it us be compensated. Do no let them bully you with “company policy.” Make sure you get paid.

As always, it is very important that you talk with a local attorney!
Good Luck,
Auto Insurance Claim Advice

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Got Questions?.

Please see more answers to recent personal injury and auto accident questions below:

For a Free Review of Your Case
Please Call (866) 878-2432