Ask an Attorney a Question for FREE!

Total loss vehicle | Honda Civic in nice condition totaled

by Angela
(Rozbury, Ma, US)

Hello I had a 2004 Honda civic in great condition and on December 1, 2009 at about 130 in the morning it was hit while it was parked. On December, 4 it was declared a total loss.

My question is should he be held accountable and should I be allowed a rental through his insurance.

As well as is it possible to get help towards purchasing a new vehicle.

My car was great I was not planning on getting a new vehicle but now I don't have a car and I don't think its fair I don't have the money for a new vehicle and I need one to get to and from work as well as to appointments etc.

Is there any way that this can happen?


Hello Angela,

I am sorry to hear about your vehicle. I totally understand where you are coming from. It’s a difficult thing with insurance companies.

You cannot get a new car. You are owed for what you had. You had a 2004 Honda Civic and that is what they will pay. They will be required to pay (through his insurance) your rental car up to the time the car is deemed a total loss. Some states allow you to keep a rental for a few (about 3 days) after they declare the Total. Contact the office of insurance of your state to see how many days you are entitled to this.

The best thing you can do is to argue and settle your loss for as much money as you can. There are ways to do this. Please see our articles on that subject here:

It’s important that you understand the process because if you have a car loan, you can end up paying in a car loan for a car that you do not have. I recommend this eBook to learn the process:

It is not a fair process. This is the reason why I was compelled to write this website. Consumers get the short end of the stick, every time!

I hope this helps you some

Good Luck

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Got Questions?.

Please see more answers to recent personal injury and auto accident questions below:

For a Free Review of Your Case
Please Call (866) 878-2432