Ask an Attorney a Question for FREE!

Who is responsible for damages? Child caused damages

My minor child was riding his bicycle and he crossed the street in the crosswalk, but hit a vehicle. The insurance company USAA is coming after me for the damages of $1400 for a fender repair.

I do not have homeowners, renter, auto, etc. insurance. Shouldn't the vehicle owners uninsured motorist policy cover the damages?



Well, the insurance company probably paid for the damages, but they have “subrogation of rights” against your child (the child’s custodian and/or parent). Please see: Subrogation of rights.

If your son causes damage, then you are responsible for your negligence on supervising him. It’s not necessarily a fair rule, but that I what it is.

As always, it is very important that you talk with a local attorney!
Good Luck,
Auto Insurance Claim Advice

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Got Questions?.

Please see more answers to recent personal injury and auto accident questions below:

For a Free Review of Your Case
Please Call (866) 878-2432