Ask an Attorney a Question for FREE!
What to do after a car accident?
Do I move the car? Do I call the police? These questions are often asked too late!
Knowing what to do after a car accident can save you a lot of headaches.
First, do you move the car after the collision? Never, it is critical that everyone (the police) see how the vehicles ended up after impact.
The police can draw diagrams and sometimes they will try to estimate speed based on the final locations of the vehicle.
Adjusters can confirm one party’s version of events over the other’s by simply establishing how the vehicles were facing after impact.
Many people feel pressured by the other driver or by the traffic jam they are causing to move the vehicle out of the way.
This can cost you dearly. Do not move the vehicle yourself. Let another person move it for you.
Let a police officer or a firefighter move the vehicle for you (assuming the vehicle is drivable). Just ask them!
Tell them the truth, this is a confusing time and you can be nervous or even injured and not in condition to drive.
Most officers will move the vehicle for you.
If you are unsure what to do after a car accident, you can call 911 and ask. Do not ask the other party as they would probably not know or tell you to move the car.
Moving the car without authorization of a police officer can be considered as “leaving the scene of an accident” and some states will give you a ticket for this. It is always a good idea to leave the car as it is and call the police.
Click on the links below for more information:
2. Do I get out of the car?
3. Do I move the car after the crash?
4. Do I have to call the police after an accident?
5. What to do while waiting for the police!
6. What to do when the police gets there?
7. What to do if the paramedics come to the scene of the accident
8. Should I go in the ambulance from the vehicle accident scene?
9. Should I go to the emergency room after an accident?
10. Do I have to report the claim?
1. Driving Tips (1 to 5)
2. Driving Tips (6 to 10)
3. Driving Tips (11 to 15)
4. Winter Driving Tips for your car
5. Winter Driver Tips for the driver
6. Winter Car Accidents
7. Snow Tires Regulation
8. Traffic Ticket eBook
9. Beat your Speeding Ticket
For a Free Review of Your Case
Please Call (866) 878-2432